Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Cooked | Potato Leek Soup

There's nothing quite like a big pot of hearty soup to beat these cold January nights! I invited my friend Liz over for dinner on Monday and I think we both agreed that the creamy texture of this soup is just heavenly and crunchy homemade croutons on top are a must.  Hope you enjoy this soup as much as I did!

INGREDIENTS:
5 Leeks, chopped, white and light green parts only
9 Red Potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 Onion, diced
1 Tbsp Butter
8 cups Chicken Stock
Salt + Pepper to taste
Baguette

DIRECTIONS:
In a large pot melt butter then add onion, leeks, and potatoes and saute for 5 minutes.  Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer with lid on for 40 minutes.  Remove from heat and let stand for around 10 minutes.  Strain vegetables and reserve the chicken stock (I set up a colander over a separate stock pot).  Put strained vegetables and 2 to 3 cups of chicken stock back into the original pot.  Puree the contents with an immersion hand blender.  Stir in reserved broth till you reach desired consistency.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  I cup up a baguette, tossed the pieces in olive oil, salt and pepper then toasted them in the oven at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes.  Transfer soup to a bowl and top with large croutons.  Sprinkle some black pepper and sea salt on top and serve! So good!

Photography by Kristin Kerr Luber

2 comments :

  1. This looks delish! Will be trying this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG OMG I want to eat this immediately!! I need to try this!! xo

    ReplyDelete