Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Curtain Call

Reading about Michelle Adam's large, cold high-rise windows in the August issue of Lonny got me thinking about my own apartment. I live in a very similar space - 10ft windows that, I'm embarrassed to admit, have vertical blinds (gasp!). The first thing I asked before I signed the lease on my place was if I was allowed to take them down, the answer was no. I've done my best to avoid closing the blinds in my living room but even with them open, that big pile of plastic shoved in the corner drives me nuts! So I've been thinking about how to disguise this unfortunate feature in the most cost effective, renter friendly way. The large windows need to be softened up a bit so I plan to hang 2 fake curtain panels on either side of the room. Note the word fake, the panels will not open (I'd need 20+ yards of fabric to cover the entire wall) but will hide vertical blinds.

The curtains will act as the jewelry in my living room ensemble, they'll add a dose of gorgeous color, texture and dimension.  Renters take note, colored curtains look great against white walls! I'm having a moment with canary yellow but I also love the look of tailored linen with trim. Above are some of my favorite looks...let me know which one you like best!
 
(images via 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5)

2 comments :

  1. I love all of these design inspirations- fabulous! Silky curtains are so lovely they really add a touch of warmth to a room particularly when in a rich hue and accented by a roaring fireplace...Very happy to have found Simply Smitten!!

    xo Sal
    www.bluebonnetsforsal.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and love it... These images today are fab... your name 'simply smitten' is perfect... :)

    I featured one of your old posts on 'My Daily Click' today... so thank you for the inspiration... xv

    ReplyDelete