Monday, April 16, 2012

In the Bathroom | Art + Rugs

Over the weekend I met a client at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago Spring Sale with hopes of helping her find a few affordable pieces of art for her living room. Although my client didn't end up buying anything I came home with a lovely abstract floral painting by Mika Horibuchi.  Usually when I see something I like I know if it's going to work...

I hung the painting in my guest bathroom the second I got home and sure enough it looks great but since one purchase often leads to another, now I'm thinking I need to replace the sisal rug that currently masks the unfortunate tile floor with a worn, muted kilim or persian rug.  I think adding a vintage or antique wool rug to a contemporary bathroom is a beautiful way to add contrast and elegance. Just look at the pictures above and tell me you don't love this look?!?  I'm already on the prowl for one on ebay so if you have a great vendor/store to recommend please do tell!

(and a new rug will most likely lead to me needing new towels...oy!)

6 comments :

  1. I do love the look. In fact, I love it so much that I thought about bringing in an antique rug to cover up the bad tile job my husband did on our guest bath floor.
    But all the ones I've seen online have red in them. That color doesn't work in my beachy-ish bathroom. I may have to go the sisal route.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful painting! You never know, you might have bought an early piece from a future master. I recommend checking out esalerugs.com for kilims--I've used them before and was really pleased with the rug and the overall experience. Good luck on your quest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so love this look, especially the white subway tiled shower and that beautifully worn rug beneath.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a huge fan of pakobelrugs, having purchased 6 rugs, and can highly recommend this seller. Most auctions start at 99 cents with free shipping. I have paid as little as $76 and as much as $300 for hand-tied, 100% wool, vegetable dyed rugs, some old, some new, all gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of these rooms...the art is amazing and love how these rooms have it mixed with more traditional pieces in some rooms.

    ReplyDelete