Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Beni Ouarain Rugs

The first item on what I'll call my Apartment Wish List is a Beni Ouarain rug.  Because of my new found fixation on black and white – I have been dreaming about buying a large Beni Ouarain carpet for somewhere in my new place.  Sometimes known as the "white giants" these beautiful wool rugs are made by the Beni Ouarain nomadic tribe of the Middle Atlas Mountains in Morocco.  You can read more about the history here.  I'm drawn to the soft and plush pile of these carpets. They make the perfect background for just about any interior – check out these photos and I'm sure you will agree...
This style rug appears several times throughout Billy Baldwin Decorates.

The creamy background is timeless and mixes well with just about any color.
The vintage ones are beyond gorgeous and, of course, beyond expensive.  So as with all great designs there are now look-alikes at William-Sonoma Home and Madeline Weinrib and Pottery Barn. 
I'm on a mission to find one in my price range - what that is, I'm not exactly sure but I'll let you know if I find a deal!  What's on your wish list?

No comments :

Post a Comment